Uninterrupted communication is crucial, there are scenarios where Headset App users will want to hear their environment around them (e.g. a baseball catcher needing to hear & communicate with the umpire) and scenarios where users will want to suppress the noise around them (e.g. a football coach in a stadium during a game). The two most popular options for achieving this are headsets with boom mics and earbuds. While both offer the convenience of hands-free communication, they differ significantly in their ability to suppress surrounding noise. In this blog, we’ll delve into the pros and cons of each option, examining their noise suppression capabilities and helping you make an informed decision based on your needs and preferences.
Headsets with Boom Mics:
Headsets with boom mics have long been a staple for those seeking optimal audio quality. These headsets feature an over-ear design with a built-in microphone attached to a flexible boom arm. This design offers several advantages when it comes to noise suppression:
- Physical Barrier: The large ear cups of a headset provide a physical barrier between your ears and the outside world. This design helps in blocking out ambient noise and distractions, allowing you to focus on your audio source.
- Noise-Canceling Technology: Many headsets incorporate active noise-canceling (ANC) technology, which uses microphones to capture and counteract ambient noise. ANC can significantly reduce low-frequency sounds such as engine noise, air conditioning hum, or background chatter, enhancing your listening experience.
- Boom Microphone Positioning: The adjustable boom microphone can be positioned close to your mouth, facilitating clear communication while reducing background noise. The proximity of the microphone to your mouth helps eliminate echoes and unwanted sounds, ensuring your voice comes through crisp and clear.
Earbuds, on the other hand, have gained immense popularity due to their portability, convenience, and sleek design. While they may not match the noise suppression capabilities of headsets with boom mics, they still offer some features worth considering:
- Passive Noise Isolation: Earbuds, when properly fitted, provide a degree of passive noise isolation by creating a seal in your ear canal. This seal helps block out external noise and allows you to focus on your audio content.
- In-Ear ANC: Some premium earbuds are equipped with active noise-canceling technology. Although not as effective as ANC in headsets, this feature can diminish background noise and enhance your audio experience. However, the noise suppression capability varies between models, so it’s essential to research and choose wisely.
- Portability: Earbuds are lightweight and easily portable, making them ideal for on-the-go use. Whether you’re commuting, exercising, or working remotely, earbuds offer the convenience of hands-free communication and entertainment without the bulk of a headset.
When it comes to the battle of noise suppression, headsets with boom mics undoubtedly offer a more immersive and focused audio experience. Their physical design, coupled with ANC technology and adjustable boom microphones, makes them ideal for gamers, professionals, and avid audio enthusiasts.
However, if portability and versatility are your primary concerns, earbuds can still provide a satisfactory level of noise isolation and may be more suitable for daily commuting, exercising, or casual listening. The availability of active noise-canceling features in premium earbud models further enhances their appeal.
Ultimately, the choice between headsets with boom mics and earbuds depends on your specific needs, usage patterns, and preferences. Consider factors such as audio quality, noise suppression requirements, comfort, and portability to make an informed decision that aligns with your lifestyle.
Thinking about hardware?
Are you interested in finding some headsets or earbuds for your staff? Check out our blog where we break down the different types of headsets other coaches are using and their favorites. We’ll even have them linked for you so you don’t have to waste a bunch of time searching on your own! Check out our Hardware page for more on preferred hardware providers.